The credit amount we give for the books you bring in is half the amount of our selling price.
You can use the credit towards half the cost of your purchase. In other words, you'll be getting books for 50% off when you use your credit. The credit doesn't apply towards our small selection of new books or the books in our online inventory.
We accept books any time during store hours, Mon-Sat 10:00-6:00, Sunday 10:00-5:00. No appointment is necessary! We try to process books immediately; of course, if you have a large quantity, it will take longer. If you just want to drop off and have us call you with a total, that's completely fine.
We suggest you bring large quantities (three or more boxes) to our back door which is accessible through the alley that runs parallel to California Ave. We have two parking spaces behind the store; ours is the blue door. The door sticks, especially in wet weather, so go ahead and give it a good shove. :)
You don't ever have to take books back if you don't want to. If you do want back any books we can't use, and you don't stay to take them at the time we process your books, we can keep them for 48 hours before we donate them. Please let us know if you want your surplus back at the time you drop off your books. Volunteers from various charities and schools pick up during the week.
In addition to giving credit for a wide variety of books, we also selectively buy books. Cash is a quarter of our selling price, rather than half. If you're interested in cash, please let us know when you drop off; otherwise we'll assume you want credit
Things we don't sell:
- Heavily damaged, highlighted, underlined, musty or mildewed books or books with broken spines
- Magazines, e.g. National Geographic
- High school yearbooks
- Albums, calendars, postcards, etc.
- Reader's Digest condensed books
- Series romances - the ones with numbers on the spine, e.g. Harlequins
- Travel guides older than three years (the type with hotel listings, etc)
- DVDs, VHS and music CDs (we recommend Easy Street Records two doors away)
We always like to build up our stock of:
- Current bestselling novels, nonfiction and young adult literature
- New paperback mystery, suspense, horror, true crime and romance
- Metaphysical and New Age books, and tarot cards
- Science fiction and fantasy
- Unabridged audio books on CD
- Counter-cultural or "cult favorite" writers like Haruki Murakami, Kerouac, Brautigan, Bukowski, Vonnegut, David Foster Wallace